Thirroul Butchers Rugby League Football Club is a distinguished club with a decorated history.
It is my pleasure to announce that in preparation for our 110-year anniversary year in 2023 we have created and finalised what we believe to an accurate 1st Grade Debut register.
The intent was to capture as much history as possible, and as can be imagined constructing this type of register for all grades would have been a mammoth task and most probably not achievable.
It was decided to include all players that played first grade on the given day ( i.e. Reserves on the bench )
We would like to recognise that the process strongly signifies respect by the club to all players in ALL grades, and their families along with the tremendous support from all our supporters and sponsors, who without we simply could not have survived for so long.
The club ground was certainly aptly named after Thomas Gibson who was the last Thirroul ANZAC home from WW1 in 1921. A teacher blinded in war retrained as a physio – a miracle worker – elected to Council – nothing could hold him back. This strong character and courage certainly epitomise the values we build our club on.
The history around WW2 is stoic and amongst the list are internationals, state, country, and divisional representatives. The layers of fathers and sons, brothers, uncles, cousins and in some cases father, son, grandson players through the club are remarkable. The support of the families is the lynch pin to the success.
A big thank you to all persons who were consulted through the process, but it would be remiss of me not to give a huge thankyou to former player Jeff Williams who recommended the concept to our club
and spent unbelievable tireless hours researching and verifying the data base.
We think that the club and all clubs need momentum, and this is an opportunity to increase profile and move in a step-by-step process towards the 110-year anniversary year in 2023.
The process to be followed:
- Release the 1st grade debut list publicly to the club websites
- Attempt to gain traction and publicity through the Illawarra Mercury and the Family of League magazine,face book opportunities etc.
- A link to the list is on our club website and is open for review and comment and please contact Phil Ostwald on 0408523556 for any discrepancies that may be identified.
- The list to stay alive as more research is put into the full names of players from pre 1946 listings through ancestry and census records. Spare lines are available throughout the data sheet to cater for any omissions.
- Make available for purchase shirts as a remembrance of this historic register. ( purchase details to be confirmed )
Register will be officially launch at our season launch
Up The Butchers
Brett Jones President TRLFC